Friday, July 31, 2009

Painting Progression-Seasons Greetings-Step 3

Now I paint in all of the basic areas using simple colors.  I am working with acrylic paint thinned with water.  For the background sky, I create a  wash of soft blue which I bleed into the yellow of the late afternoon winter sun.  Care must be taken to avoid creating a sickly green where the yellow and blue tones meet.  Each area I add helps to create a map of what the finished piece should look like.  With the basic colors laid in, it is easy to decide what adjustments to make and to which areas in order to create the look that I want.  If I painted one area completely before working on another, I would probably need to change it later, in relation to other areas in the picture.  It is best to work over the entire picture, building a solid foundation first.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Glad to see you're posting again. I was lucky enough to get slammed with a bunch of freelance assignments today... going to be a very busy week! Keep up the blogging. Your fans want to know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...