Thursday, July 23, 2009

Painting Progression-Seasons Greetings-Step 1

Here is something completely different for a change of pace.  No horses in this one!  At one time, most of my work was illustrations done for advertising, books, magazines, posters and point of purchase displays, etc.  These days I do some of my art for licensing.  Companies pay me to use my art on commercial products such as greeting cards and puzzles.  This is a piece of art which I have created specifically for this type of application.  It is painted on art board and the image size is 9 inches by 12 inches.  I have painted the finished picture it in acrylic, which is a fast medium to use on a project such as this.

The first step is to produce a series of rough sketches to perfect the idea, building a workable composition that will attract attention and be pleasing to the viewer.  A jolly snowman must convey a warm and friendly personality, and the cardinal needs to be carefully placed in a natural pose.

When I am satisfied with the results, I  trace my finished drawing onto illustration board, clean it up, and spray it with workable fixative.  It is now ready to begin painting!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...