Sunday, July 26, 2009

Painting Progression-Seasons Greetings-Step 2

When I begin to paint, I prefer not to work directly on a white surface.   I use a toned surface to help me see the colors I am applying more accurately.  The surface color that I choose will also influence the finished result by unifying the final colors that will be applied later.  I usually also allow some spots where this  base color shows through in the finished piece.  Here I have chosen violet purple which will be the basic shadow color in the painting, especially on the main subject, our illustrious snowman.  Violet purple is a warm color, which will make a nice compliment to a winter scene.

I mix my pigment into a generous amount of mat medium.  This makes the mixture very transparent, allowing my pencil drawing to show through clearly.  The white of the art board also shows through, keeping the ground color from being too dark or heavy.  By using a mat medium rather than gloss, I avoid creating a shiny surface to work on.  The acrylic paint dries very quickly and I am ready to start painting!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...