Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Painting Progression-Sleigh Bells-Step 3

I am still working in acrylic paint at this stage in order to get my underpainting established quickly and simply, without the need for any drying time between sessions.  I use my mixture of burnt sienna and cadmium red to wash in tones in the distant hills, the buildings, trees and snow.  As I move further into the foreground, I use heavier, darker mixtures of the same colors. Next I add more detail in the trees and the harness on the horses using burnt sienna and burnt umber.  This simple, monochromatic approach is already establishing the lights and shadows in the painting as well as creating a good illusion of depth at the same time.  This will give me a good basis to build my painting on.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...