Wednesday, February 15, 2012

On Stoney Batter Road


This is start of one of my small works.  It is painted on a canvas panel that measures 6 inches high by 8 inches wide.  The round white buttons in the photos are push pins which I have used to secure this small canvas to a larger board that I have sitting on my easel.  The title of this piece is On Stoney Batter Road. I will use this oil sketch as a study for a larger painting that I plan to complete in the future.

In the first image I have primed my canvas with a mixture of gesso, cadmium red and burnt sienna acrylic paint to give me a warm ground that is not too dark.  It dries quickly and I can proceed with alkyd paint right away.  I use a combination of burnt sienna and black alkyd to lay in the rail fence and birch tree in the foreground, then the receding layers of forest behind.  I also start blocking in a basic sky colour.


I continue to block in the sky, allowing the warm background to show through.  Painting from back to front, I block in the hazy trees in the distance.  The trees in the middle ground come next, just quickly blocked in with more intense greens.  The conifer trees behind the foreground birch are suggested and a grassy shadow along the base of the fence completes my initial working plan.


The picture is progressing quickly as I block in golden colours made up of cadmium yellow deep, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, titanium white and olive green in the grassy areas throughout the painting.  I use olive green and sap green and titanium white to begin defining the trees in the background and middleground.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...