Monday, January 16, 2012

Jones's Creek

I painted this little picture about a week ago.  I worked from photos that I took several years ago while driving around the countryside north east of Kingston Ontario.  The location is a place called Jones's Falls.  I liked the look of the winding river as it flows through the granite outcroppings of the Canadian Shield.  The trees in the middle and foreground  frame the animated water flowing toward the viewer, while the distant blue trees in the background give the painting a sense of depth.

I don't know what kind of flowers grow in the marsh along the river, but they make a wonderful counterpoint to the deep green of the trees that make up a large portion of the picture.  The whole thing makes me long for summer, which is still about six months away!

This painting measures just 8 inches high by 10 inches wide.  It is painted on a canvas panel support using alkyd oil, my medium of choice.  You can find the painting for sale at www.dailypaintworks .com or www.rdewolfe.com, along with a wide selection of other paintings I have created.

2 comments:

Amanda Bilson said...

Lovely painting Richard. I agree that you have captured a great sense of depth, from the flowers in the foreground to the trees in the distance.

Richard De Wolfe said...

Thanks Amanda. I plan on creating more of this type of work going forward. I want to spend more time painting plein air and less time in the studio. We will see what happens!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...