Thursday, July 7, 2011

Metropolitan Museum of Art

It is sad that so few people take the time to visit an art gallery when they travel.  Whether it is a private, personal gallery of one artist's works, or a large collective institution, art galleries hold a wealth of beauty and culture.   When I travel, one of the first things I look for is the art that may be available there.  I do this for several reasons.  One is to see what other artists are doing or have done in the past.  Another is to learn some viewpoint or technique that I might apply to my own creative process.  The most important, though, is to revel in the beauty and creativity that art reveals to me.

I have visited New York City several times, but have not had the time or opportunity to visit one of the greatest art museums in the world, the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I am determined to rectify this just as soon as I can return to New York City once more.

Did you know that 'The Met' contains the most comprehensive collection of American art in the world?  It also has the largest collection of Degas works in the world.  In fact, the museum holds the most impressive collection of Impressionism and Post Impressionist art in North America.  Finally, it is a truly global collection of art, the most impressive collection in the western world.

Here is an episode of Great Museums Television that will give you an insight into what a marvel this museum really is.

                                    

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...