Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Painting Progression-Between Nations-Step 6

Now I build up the intensity and detail in the trees and bridge structure.  The colours are mixed with a combination of permanent green, ultramarine blue, burnt umber and white.  Next, I begin painting over the acrylic underpainting of the water.  Initially, I had simply suggested the movement of the surface waves.  Now I begin to model the ever changing surface of the water, using three tones of blue-gray.  This gives me a dark, a mid-tone and a light colour to work with.  The mid-tone represents the general surface, reflecting the sky.  The darks suggest the deepest troughs between the waves and the lights suggest the most prominent peaks of waves, which catch the maximum light.  Taken all together they suggest liquid movement.  I add some permanent green to my darkest tone to create the reflections of the trees in the water.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...