Sunday, August 30, 2009

Painting Progression-Between Nations-Step 3

In this stage I trace down my drawing onto the canvas.  As you can see, the earth tones of the first priming show through the second layer of cooler gray priming.  When I paint in the studio, I usually work out a drawing first, then transfer it to the canvas.  If I am painting on location, especially out-of-doors, I often paint directly onto the canvas with no preliminary sketches.  The two methods usually produce completely different results, since pre-planned drawing will usually be tighter and more controlled.  Direct painting, on the other hand, will give you a looser, freer picture.  In this planned painting, I am drawing from photos that I have taken on the St. Lawrence River and the Thousand Island Bridge between Canada and the USA.  Once the transfer to canvas is completed, a little spray of fixative keeps the graphite from smearing when I  begin to overpaint the drawing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...