Monday, June 22, 2009

Painting Progression-Sleigh Bells-Step 8

Once all of the basic elements and areas have been initially painted in with alkyd paint, I begin the process of finishing each area, maintaining a harmonious relationship with the overall picture.  I begin from the sky (the most distant background) and work my way forward, adding detail, contrast and harmony.  I have embellished the light in the sky somewhat, softened the hills in the distance, and added detail to the buildings in the middle ground.  The trees on the left are painted in, providing a nice border and visual stop on that side of the picture.  I spend quite a bit of time on the trees and underbrush on the right side of the picture, deepening the green of the foliage, creating subtle shades on the snow of the branches and detail in the tangle below.  More detail is added to the snow and the roadway,  the fence posts are added and finally I spend much time painting the horses and harness and the sleigh bells from which the painting gets its name.

1 comment:

Danette Williams said...

It is a beautiful painting. I wish I could be in that spot right now. Love it. Danette Williams

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...