Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Passing Giants

A true giant of illustration passed away last week. Frank Frazetta, the undisputed king of Science Fiction and Fantasy art, died from complications of a stroke in Fort Myers, Florida, on Monday, May 10, 2010. Frank was 82 years old.

I can't describe how much I looked forward to every piece of illustration that carried the distinctive signature of Frank Frazetta when I first became interested in illustration as a very young teen. I never lost interest in or my love for the work of this tremendous painter. Warren Publications introduced 'Creepy' and 'Eerie', two brand-new high-end comic magazines in the mid-sixties. Through the amazing art on their covers, I was introduced to the work of Frank Frazetta. In earlier years, I had enjoyed the comic strip, Lil' Abner, which also featured the art of Frank Frazetta, but I was unaware of that at the time. Later, Frazetta produced paintings for the covers of the 'Conan' series of pocket books, written by Robert E. Howard and L. Sprauge de Camp. The painting used on the cover of 'Conan the Adventure' recently sold for one million dollars! How many fine art painters can claim as much?

So long to another unique artist-idol from my youth. Rest in peace, Frank.

For more insight into the work of Frank Frazetta, please visit http://drawn.ca/ or follow the direct link to http://drawn.ca/2010/05/13/frank-frazetta-1928-2010/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...